The construction of St Columba’s Church was ordered as part of the New Towns Act 1946 which saw Glenrothes itself built. Fife-based architectural firm Wheeler and Sproson were commissioned to design the new church building and St Columba’s Parish Church was completed for the community in 1961.
The Building and Bell Tower are now Grade A listed. Following years of problems with the roof, a two phase programme of refurbishment has seen the sanctuary and halls beautifully restored and repaired. St Columba’s now has a building which is fit for these modern times and one which the congregation can be proud of for years to come. Phase 3 of the project, to provide level access to and refurbish the entrance area and bell tower of the church was completed in late 2016.
Along the rear wall of the sanctuary is a 59ft by 9ft mural, ‘The Way of the Cross’ by Alberto Morrocco.
“At 28 minutes past nine every night of the week, the bell of St Columba’s Church in Glenrothes is set ringing by an electric motor controlled by a clock, and about 100 members of the congregation, by ones and twos and threes, converge on the church for evening prayers…in the nightly gathering of worshippers walking in towards the church at the Town Centre, there is something that touches deep springs of Scottish history and tradition. And if this were to become the spirit of the New Towns they would make undying history!” (The Scotsman, 24 June 1961) quoted from St Columba’s, Glenrothes: A post-war design laboratory for reformed worship by Diane Watters in Architectural Heritage. Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 66-87, ISSN 1350-7524, Available Online 2001.